To: YK1 Parents & Guardians
From: Metro Huculak, Superintendent & CEO, YK1
Re: NWT Elections
Date: November 5, 2015
With the upcoming NWT election it is important as a voter to have as much information as possible in order to make these key decisions. With this in mind, Yellowknife Education District No. 1 has prepared a few questions regarding your child’s education and where candidates stand for you to ask when they knock on your door in the coming weeks.
1. Are you prepared to advocate for Yellowknife-specific education issues? (Programming examples are Junior Kindergarten funding, support for the high number of students with complex needs.)
2. What actions would you take to ensure the needs of Yellowknife students are addressed by the education system?
3. Yellowknife school districts have been paying to fund the implementation of Junior Kindergarten in NWT communities for the last two years.
a. Do you support the implementation of publicly funded Junior Kindergarten in Yellowknife & would you like to see it implemented at the same time as other regional centres?
4. École J.H. Sissons is in need of a complete renovation. Mildred Hall School has never had their renovation completed.
a. Are you prepared to advocate for the upgrade and completion of YK1 facilities?
5. How would you promote the coordination of inter-agency services in our schools?
6. What do you feel are the most important questions facing education today and in the future?
Let’s make sure our candidates understand the importance of keeping education of our children a high priority.
Please note: There will be an Education Forum on November 12, 2015 at 7 p.m. at École St. Joseph’s School gymnasium.
Printable Memo please click here.